How often do you have to check your garage door? Or do you really have to think about the condition of your garage doors at all? Actually, one of the factors that could make or break your day is the moment you go out and encounter problems with your garage door opener. Don’t wait until there is a problem before you call your garage door maintenance service provider. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure; hence, schedule a regular maintenance check especially during weather changes.
Eliminate unnecessary garage door repair expenses by taking note of these maintenance tips.
1. Listen to your door. A well-maintained and functional garage door is relatively silent and it smoothly moves up and down without jerkiness and sounds of scraping and grating. This is because all parts are in good condition such as the pulleys, cables and springs.
2. Clear the tracks. Check the tracks on both sides of the door and clear it from rust and debris. Make sure that the tracks are perfectly vertical along the vertical sections. You do some minor adjustments but leave the major adjustments to a professional technician.
3. Fine tune the hardware. For your regular residential garage door maintenance, tighten the door and track hardware including the brackets that hold door tracks to the ceiling and wall, the fasteners that keep the garage door opener unit to the framing. You can use a socket wrench to tighten up loose bolts.
4. Check and change the rollers. Inspection of rollers should be done twice a year and they should be replaced every five to seven years. Rollers that are cracked, worn, or chipped must be replaced to avoid accidents and jerkiness. However, care should be practiced when changing rollers, don’t remove the bottom roller bracket on both sides of the door because these are connected to the lift cables and are under great pressure.
5. Inspect cables and pulleys. Look carefully at the lift cables and pulleys linked to the bottom brackets on your garage door. Springs in between connection vary in each part and are responsible for smooth movement. For your safety, you are advised not to touch the springs, let the experts handle them. Contact commercial garage door maintenance experts to solve any concerns in this area.
6. Oil the moving parts. When moving parts and rollers are well lubricated there is less stress on the door openers and this lengthen their usefulness. Apply white lithium grease on the hinges and rollers twice a year and wipe them clean.
7. Assess the door balance. If the garage door is no well-balanced, it will not work well and will eventually be broken. You can do the testing by pulling the release handle of the automatic opener and then manually lifting the door to about halfway open. It should remain in place if it is properly balanced. Immediately call for your garage door technician if something is out of place.
8. Check the auto reverse system. You can test if this feature is functioning well by putting a scrap board flat of 2×4 on the ground in the path of the door. When the door touches the board, it should reverse direction and go up. If your door doesn’t have this feature yet, replace it by calling your technician because it is mandated by building code that this feature should be installed.
9. Replace or repair the weather-stripping. This is found at the bottom of your door whose function is to keep out dust, water, cold, and dirt out of your garage. You have to check this part twice a year too. You can change broken parts or the whole stripping depending on its condition.
10. Tidy and repaint the door. Regular cleaning keeps your steel door from rust and your fiberglass door maintains its sleekness. Wooden doors must be examined for any presence of mold or dirt brought about by water damage. Wooden doors must be repainted after removing of old paint and sanding to keep it in good working condition.
In order to make sure that your garage door is properly working and in order to lengthen its life, you have to keep a regular consultation and checking by a garage door maintenance Phoenix AZ technician at least two times a year. Cookson Door Sales of Arizona specializes in giving you high quality doors and expert installation and repairs by our technicians. Our clients have built a lasting partnership with us through the years as we continue to update our technology and upgrade our system and equipment along with continuously equipping our staff with the more recent techniques and skills.
Call to Action
For your inquiries about Cookson Door Sales of Arizona services, call (480) 377-8777 or click here to request for an estimate. To get an overview of our products and service, visit our website. Our service areas are: Gilbert, Scottsdale, Phoenix AZ and surrounding areas including Tempe, Gold Canyon, Sun City, Sun Lakes, Peoria, and Glendale.